Selling translation rights for our clients successfully
We are passionate about placing our authors’ work with top publishers around the world, making it a priority at the heart of the agency’s service. We have a vast network of relationships with editors in publishing houses across the globe. We attend major rights fairs and international literary festivals, and we embark on dedicated sales trips overseas to develop the greatest possible international reach for our clients.
Our precise and nuanced approach ensures we offer our authors' works to the right editors in the right publishing houses, selling directly in numerous languages, and working closely with co-agents in other markets. Once we have negotiated the best possible terms for our authors, we nurture and develop relationships with their editors and support both author and publisher throughout the publication process.
Our rights department is led by Sam Edenborough who brings expertise gained over twenty years of international deal-making to his role as rights director. Maria Brannan, an experienced former literary scout, is our translation rights manager. Together they work with their colleagues to maximise the potential for successful rights sales from the earliest stages of a book's development, harnessing their knowledge of international markets.
Representing rights for partner agencies and publishers
In addition to the agency’s authors, Greyhound Literary is proud to represent translation rights for the following clients:
- The Cheney Agency (New York): in the Scandinavian languages;
- Regal Hoffmann & Associates (New York): in Dutch, Estonian, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian and the Scandinavian languages;
- Duckworth Books (London): in all languages except English throughout the world;
- Storm Publishing (London): in all languages except English throughout the world;
- Nicci French (Sean French & Nicci Gerrard) on behalf of United Agents: in all languages except English throughout the world.
We sell rights directly in the majority of languages, and work closely with a network of specialist co-agencies in others, as follows:
- Albanian, Bulgarian, Macedonian: Anthea Literary Agency
- Chinese, Indonesian, Thai, Vietnamese: Grayhawk Agency
- Croatian, Hungarian: ANA Budapest
- Czech, Slovak & Slovene: ANA Prague
- Japanese (non-exclusive): Tuttle Mori Agency / Japan Uni Agency / English Agency (Japan)
- Korean: EYA
- Polish: Book/lab
- Russian: Van Lear Agency
- Turkish: AnatoliaLit
For any translation rights enquiries, please contact us as follows:
Maria: Estonian, Greek, Hebrew, Latvian, Lithuanian, Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Serbian, Spanish
Sam: Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese (Brazil), all Scandinavian languages.
For enquiries relating to languages not listed above, please contact Sam.
Philip Gwyn Jones
We are actively looking for new clients and welcome submissions in the following areas: fiction, both commercial and literary; non-fiction, in particular biography, cookery, history, humour, memoir, music, politics, sport and wellbeing and lifestyle; and children’s fiction and non-fiction.